Grand Valley Wood Carvers welcome all artists of wood-based art to our 2023 carving and wood art competition. Our volunteer personel are from Tri County Carvers, Owl’s Nest Carving Clubs and other volunteers.
Categories with Three Skill Levels (Novice, Intermediate, Open)
1) Carving in the Round – Human: Any human figure(s) carved in the round.
2) Carving in the Round – Animal: Any animal figure(s) (including fur bearing aquatic) carved in the
round. (Including fur bearing aquatic.)
3) Carving in the Round – Other: Any carving in the round that does not fall into the above 2 categories
or single level categories.
4) Relief Carving: Any subject carved in a high or low relief method.
5) Caricature: A carving which exaggerates or distorts some characteristic of a person or thing, usually in
an amusing manner.
6) Pyrography: Burned designs or pictures on wood only.
Single Skill Level Categories
7) Chip Carving: Carvings in which knives are used to remove wood from a surface in a single
8) Cane: A carving on the handle or the body of a cane, walking stick or stave.
9) Fish & Aquatic Animals: Any carved fish(es) and/or water related animals (excluding
fur bearing), amphibians, reptiles, etc.
10) Bark Carving: Any subject carved in tree bark.
11) Interpretive: Any subject carved in an abstract or stylized manner.
1. JUNIOR: Competitors 12 yrs. old and under.
2. YOUTH: Competitors 13 – 17 yrs. old.
NOTE: There is no entry fee charged for Junior & Youth levels. Any style carving and/or pyrography subject can be entered, including birds. Each of these two levels will be judged independently of all other skill levels. Ribbons will be awarded.
3. NOVICE: A competitor who has never previously received a First Place Ribbon in any Competition.
4. INTERMEDIATE: A competitor who has won 3 First Place Ribbons in any competition’s Novice or Single Level.
5. OPEN: A competitor who has won 3 First Place Ribbons in any competition’s Intermediate Level or Best of Class in any Competition’s Intermediate Level.
Rules and Regulations
Submissions must be made of WOOD. (Carvings may be painted or unpainted.)
Pyrography pieces may contain some colour but should not be used to such a degree as to obscure the pyrography itself. Translucent colour in which the pyro work shows clearly through may be used. Any opaque colouring can be used sparingly in conjunction with the pyro piece….but shall not be used to cover up the main body of work.
Eligibility of proposed submissions shall be at the discretion of the show committee at the time of submission. All carvings or pyrographic works must be hand produced by the entrant.
All submissions must have been completed within the 12 month period preceding the competition.
All entries must be submitted under one skill level only.
The entry fee shall be $12.00 for the first entry & $7.00 for each additional entry.
Each competitor will be issued one complimentary pass to the show.
Advance registration is recommended and registration forms and cheques (payable to the Grand Valley Wood Carvers) shoud be mailed to:
Grand Valley Woodcarvers
PO Box 25011
Shoppers Drug Mart Postal Outlet
Kitchener, ON N2A 4A5
All submissions must be hand delivered to:
Note: Although entries are happily accepted within the time frames above, we strongly urge you to submit your entries prior to noon on Friday when the show officially opens in order for the full viewing public to see your works.
No entries will be accepted once the judging has begun. The decision of the judges is final, and is at their discretion. Some prizes may not necessarily be awarded if the judges feel they are unwarranted.
All monetary awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners can be picked up after 3:00 pm, Sunday, June 4th.
Award distribution will commence at approx. 3:00 pm Sunday, June 4th. All entries may be picked up following the awards presentations between 4:00 and 4:30 pm. Note that cleanup will commence promptly at 4:30 so please ensure that you respect the pickup times. Ribbons and cash awards not picked up by the end of show shall be forfeited.
The committee reserves the right to reassign any carving into an alternate category if it is deemed more appropriate for the submission or should the number of submissions in any given category not be a sufficient amount to warrant the inclusion of that category.
A Best of Single Level shall be chosen from the 5 first place winners of the Single Levels & that winner shall be eligible for the Best of Show award.
Competitors are required to supply their own stands should their submission require it for display purposes. No wall mounting is available.
The following prizes will be awarded in all levels of all categories.
1st……….$20 & Red Ribbon
2nd………$15 & Blue Ribbon
3rd……….$10 & Yellow Ribbon
Honorary Mention Ribbons awarded as per judges’ discretion
Best of Level
Novice ………….. $50 Lee Valley Gift Card & Ribbon
Intermediate……. $50 Lee Valley Gift Card & Ribbon
Open ……………. $50 Lee Valley Gift Card & Ribbon
Single …………… $50 Lee Valley Gift Card & Ribbon
Second Best of Level
Novice ………….. $25 Chipping Away Gift Card
Intermediate……. $25 Chipping Away Gift Card
Open ……………. $25 Chipping Away Gift Card
Single …………… $25 Chipping Away Gift Card
Best of Show – $25 Lee Valley Gift Card & $25 Chipping Away Gift Card & $25 cash & Ribbon
For more information contact Zenon Gawel at 519-578- 8323
Click Here to download a Registration Form in Word format.
Click Here for a Registration Form in .pdf format.