Purchase Award – Sponsors
CANUCK GUNS CANADA
3 Bird Hunting Rig
Full size male and female one species and third confidence species. See separate sponsor rules/guidelines. $4,000, $750 second, $250. third plus rosettes.
Youth – Any duck male or female, any style including contemporary antique, painted not floated. Youth 12 and under half to full size, 13 to 19 full size. $125 first plus rosette for each category. *NOTE* The youth category is a cash award, the carver keeps the duck.
SHOOTER’S CHOICE-DUCK-ANY SPECIES (EXCLUDING LOONS, GEESE, GREBES)
Life Size Drake or Hen, smoothie, floated, no keel.
$2,000.00 plus a Rosette, $150 second, $75 third.
ONTARIO DIE COMPANY AWARD
PAIR – RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS
Life Size Decorative, with Habitat, detailed/textured,
$3,000.00 plus a Rosette, $150 second, $75 third
LINDA & ZENON GAWEL AWARD
PAIR – CHAMPAGNE DUCKS
smoothie-any species, with keel, weighted, floated
$450.00 plus a Rosette, $100 second, $50 third
Canuck Guns Canada Sponsor Award –
3 BIRD HUNTING RIG
Carving Subject and Governing Rules/ Guiding Principles: The entries carved for this category are intended to represent a rig of 3 practical and functional life-size hunting decoys. The term, Hunting decoys, is recognized that “practical and functional” brings with it some inherent limitations in the design and level of detail executed in a carved hunting decoy. It is expected that the engineering and functionality of the decoys will be as required for a real waterfowl hunting situation and that the artistry, craftsmanship and essence of the species represented shall be to the highest standard possible in a “practical and functional” hunting decoy.
- This category is open to all carvers.
- Eligible entries/species represented will be any recognized North American waterfowl species including pelagic and coastal seabirds. Typical hunting season plumages are acceptable.
- A 3-bird rig will consist of a full size male and female of one species and a third decoy of another species or a confidence species (no limitations) that would typically be associated with the other two birds.
- Decoys will be floated together and shall be rigged individually (no limitations) with keel and tethered by a line and weight.
- Lines shall be 2.0 to 2.5 meters (6-8 feet) in length and the weights sufficient for the hunting situation depicted.
- Decoys must self-right from any position. Decoys will be floated by the judges outdoors in a nearby water feature under the weather conditions of the day.
- Decoys shall be constructed in wood or cork and may incorporate other materials as required for engineered aspects or for the style of decoy represented. Glass eyes are permitted.
- All delicate elements will be scrutinized by the judges for durability as might be required in a real hunting situation. Burning and fine stoned texturing is not allowed. Although, creativity in traditional and functional techniques to represent feathers or unique features of a chosen species are encouraged. Remember “practical and functional” is a priority.
- Any observed failure or degradation in the structure or finish of the decoys will result in the entry being disqualified from competition.
- Entries will be first judged on the table to ensure compliance with the above rules and then judged in the field.
- Entrants may provide upon registration any documentation they deem necessary to support any construction technique or decoy tradition represented. This information will be made available to the judges during the judging period.
- Canuck Guns Canada may wish to negotiate buying any of the entries, other than 1st place, at a mutually agreeable price with the carver. This transaction is not in lieu of cash prizes awarded.
- Canuck Guns Canada may wish to add a firearm in addition to the cash awarded.
The Youth category is intended to encourage new, younger carvers, with the art of carving.
The category is divided by age:
1) Youth aged 12 and under 2) Youth aged 13 to 19.
Subject is a North American Duck, any species, male or female, any style, textured (burning and fine stoned texturing is allowed) or non-textured, contemporary antique accepted, painted, and will not be floated, made of wood or cork, glass eyes accepted. No stylized or interpretive carvings allowed.
Size for Youth (1) can be half size to full size, Youth (2) must be full size. This is a cash award, carving retained by carver.
- Includes Ducks, Geese, Swans, Loons and Grebes.
- The bird must fit totally within 3-1/2 inch (90mm) circle;
- Must be a smoothie. Groups of feathers may be defined, i.e. tertial, scapulars, side pockets, etc.
- No texturing is allowed.
- No restrictions on paint.
Sponsor Award Rules and Regulations
- Unless otherwise specified, carvings are to be life-size, in breeding plumage as well as textured and painted.
- Carvings, including habitat (where specified) must be the original design and concept of the carver.
- Judging will be based on accuracy, artistry, creativity and essence of the species.
- Permission is given to compete with the winning carving at “The Worlds”.
- To ensure the purchaser of a quality carving, a first place may not necessarily be awarded (at the discretion of the Judges and Grand Valley Wood Carvers Show Committee.